The quietest riding, best handling coach on the market today. Period.
Skip to main content
Topic: Accolade steering problems (Read 3380 times) previous topic - next topic

Accolade steering problems

We took delivery of our 2021 Entegra Accolade in January but were not able to use it much due to a family problem. We started driving it a few weeks ago and have a problem with the steering.
Let's put it in perspective: we owned a 5th wheel for 10 years and drove all across the US. I rented trucks of the size of the Accolade and have an idea of what the steering should feel like.
Our new coach is very nice but the steering is horrible. There is a creaking noise in the steering column at any speed and a slight vibration. Above 50 mph, we are afraid to loose control. At times, it drifts sideways and requires strong corrections. One day, on a major highway, at 65, we swayed several feet with our wheels off the road by 3 feet. The swaying sometimes happens even on a straight road with no wind, no traffic.
Our dealer stated that they checked wheel balance, tire inflation and alignment. I will ask them for a road test at my next appointment, I wait for their call but they are not responsive. I have an appointment this week with a local big truck shop that I know and trust and may ask them to install a Safe T Plus.
A couple of questions for this forum:
- Did anybody experience the same problem with that chassis? It is supposed to be their E-Z Drive Premier . . .
- How do I get in touch with Entegra itself, not the dealer, they don't follow up on calls or emails. Any link?
- I suppose this is a warranty problem but do I deal with Entegra or with Freightliner, the chassis manufacturer?

Re: Accolade steering problems

Reply #1
We just bought a brand new Accolade 37k and experiencing the same issues you're facing.  We have had two appointments with Freightliner and the tech there said that our steering is still new and a bit too tight.  That is why it's feels a bit loose and squirly.  He said that putting more miles on the chassis would loosen up the joints overtime.  Now, having mentioned that, we were also afraid of front tire blowout, so we went ahead and bought a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer and had him install it.  He also did a front-end alignment before installing it as well.  So, I would suggest you try putting some miles on your new RV and see if the steering loosens up a bit.  Ours actually did and we have added about 278 miles thus far.  And, now with the new stabilizer installed, we are a lot more confident with handling issues when they come up!  Good Luck!

Reply #2
Thanks Kahuna.
It is all together a relief and a disappointment to hear that you have the same problem.
I have 2,000 miles on the unit right now and the steering did not improve. I ordered the Safe T Plus and it will be installed by that truck shop. I hope that will improve the ride.
We didn't put many miles on it because we have other warranty issues to resolve but I hope that it will improve with time.

BTW, the dealer, General RV finally replied to our other requests for warranty repairs. The earliest they will work on it is within 2 months.
I got in touch with Jayco and they respond in a timely manner but can't find a shop to do the repairs.

Reply #3
I believe the Accolade is built on the Ford E450 Chassis, NOT a Freightliner chassis. If you have chassis, engine, transmission etc. problems you'll have to take it to a Ford Commerical Service Center. Your Local Ford dealership will not service RV's.
Call up Jayco Motorize at 800 283-8267 they handle Entegra class C's.  I have a 2020 Odyssey 24B built on a 2019 Ford E450 chassis
Good Luck dealing with General RV service department, be prepared to spend a lot of time there. In the last year and a half I've had my water heater fail, the slide out has failed 3 times, the refrigerator's failed and I had to have the cooling system replaced in it. It took 6 months from when I first reported it to the General RV service advisor until it was finally replaced.  The Isolation Solenoid failed and was replaced, while replacing the isolation solenoid the tech blew an under dash fuse that took out the rearview camera, the power side mirrors, and the auto retract feature of the power steps. It took almost a month for them to replace that 5 amp fuse they blew. Multiple cabinet draw latches adjusted and replaced, the shower was leaking, I ended up caulking and duct-taping it to stop it from leaking.
The generator is also NOT serviced at the RV dealerships, you'll have to take it to a Cummings service center. Mine was always had to start, I researched it and ended up adjusting the choke.
As far as the steering issue, I ended up installing a Roadmaster steer stabilizer. It has a heavy spring over a shock-absorber stabilizer that always is trying to re-center the steering arm. It helped about 50%. I also changed out the stock Ford dim headlight bulbs. I replaced the analog A/C heater thermostat controller mounted on the bedroom wall with a digital one.

Reply #4
We lowered our tire pressure from the 110 max pressure that it was at when accepted delivery, and handling is MUCH better.  Like a 1000 percent improvement when set at 95 psi cold.  Tire manufacturer says that lower PSI is fine per the loaded weight of the vehicle.  110 is just the MAX pressure when cold, not the recommended pressure.

You might want to try that before spending $$$ and time seeking a fix.